Slips and Trips in Public Places

A slip, trip or fall in a public place often results in a few bruises and a bit of embarrassment, but sometimes an awkward fall can result in more serious injuries such as broken bones, torn ligaments, serious cuts and wounds or whiplash.

If your fall was due to someone else’s negligence or a council’s poor upkeep, you have a right to claim for compensation to provide for loss of earnings, medical costs and trauma caused by the accident.


Who do I claim against if I fall?

It is the responsibility of a local authority, usually a county council, to make sure public pavements and walkways are safe to use and free from potholes and obstructions.

If you fall over due to poor maintenance or negligence in a pub, shop, supermarket, restaurant, blame is attributed to the owners of the premises if they have failed in their duties to keep you safe.

If your accident happens on private land, we would help you file a claim against the owner of the land.


What to Do After You Have a Slip, Trip or Fall:

Doing the following after your accident if you can will help strengthen your claim…

  • Take pictures of the defect or obstruction
  • Record contact details of any witnesses of your accident
  • Lodge an official complaint to the authority responsible
  • Seek medical help and any diagnoses


We specialise in slip and trip cases at Garratts Solicitors and pride ourselves on our honest and transparent approach. We understand the losses and following frustration which can happen after a fall, and the compensation you receive can aid your recovery and help you get your life back on track.

We have helped hundreds of people receive the compensation they deserve following an accident, and our first advice is free, so you can find out if you have a case and discover your options with no charge.

Contact our Personal Injury Solicitors on 0161 665 3502 or start your claim online.


Call Back Request

Before submitting this form please read our contact privacy policy here